Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The 10 Most Pressing Questions for Pricing Professionals Today

PPS listed the following as the top ten questions facing pricing professionals today:
  1. How should I respond to the unprecedented market turbulence initiated by the global financial crisis?
  2. How can I be ready to capitalize in opportunities the recovery will bring?
  3. How can I realistically assess my organization's readiness for pricing changes?
  4. How can I successfully structure services pricing during the recession?
  5. Are lower prices really the answer to stay alive in a down market?
  6. Can I improve my pricing practice even during these economic times?
  7. How can I protect profits in a challenging market?
  8. Am I ready to face the tough pricing negotiations ahead?
  9. Should bundling be used as a discounting strategy or as an overall pricing strategy?
  10. What do my customers truly value in a downturn?
What other questions are you as pricers asking? What other issues are you facing? What answers would you give to these questions?

These and numerous other pricing questions will be addressed at our annual Spring Pricing Conference in Anaheim April 1-3. Looking forward to seeing you there! Warmly, EM

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

patmcgraw said...

Interesting list of questions....thought I might take a shot at answering a few and see what you and your readers have to say in response:

Regarding #1: Focus on your value proposition, not your price. Remind the buyer that [ex] your superior service and support before and after the purchase is priceless, or the special materials used in your cutting edge manufacturing process produces a rugged, stylish Product.

Regarding #2: You can be prepared to capitalize in opportunities that are brought about by the recovery through research. Talk with your prospects and customers...find out where their 'pain' is and figure out how to relieve it. Once you identify something of great potential, refocus your existing resources from things that are not producing profitable revenue.

So, what's everyone think?

Chunky Munky said...

As much as I agree with Pat on the answer of #1, the fact of the matter is, corporates will still look at their bottom line for commodity items such as computers. On equal specifications, they will ignore stylishness and ruggedness, even more so during times of recession.